Great logos are recognizable in a blink. They also should make a lasting impression. We all know great logos, but we don’t all know that great logos aren’t easy to create. From initial sketches to color concepts, there’s much to consider when boiling your brand down to a single emblem.
Before starting any project it’s essential to get the right preliminary information from your clients. This will help pave the way to a successful project, assist in bringing client’s vision into perspective and build a lasting relationship. Many of the questions below will also help in putting together an accurate quote for your client.
Here are the Top 20 Questions To Ask Clients Prior To Designing A Logo:
Company-related questions in the Logo Design Questionnaire:
1. How would you describe your services and/or products?
2. What are the long term goals of your business or company?
3. Why do you want a new logo? (if they already have one) What do you want your new logo to accomplish?
This question helps to understand the problem.
4. Who are your main competitors?
Having clients provide links allows you to get a better feel for their market and competition.
5. How are you different from your competitors? Please list what makes you stand out.
6. What’s the age range of your target customer base?
Helps in creating an overall feeling and impression of the logo.
7. Do you have a tag line? If so, would you like it stated along side your logo?
8. Do you have any specific imagery in mind for your logo?
9. Do you have any color preferences, or existing brand colors?
10. Do you have any colors that you do not wish to use?
11. What adjectives should best describe your logo?
12. What feeling or message do you want your logo to convey to those who view it?
13. How do you prefer your logo to be worded or written out?
Example: MadMindStudios or Mad Mind Studios
14. How would you like the typography to appear?
Example: script, bold, light, hand drawn, custom lettering
15. Where will you logo be used?
Example: print, web…or both
16. Where will your logo primarily be used?
If the primary usage is for the web, typically horizontal logos work best.
17. What’s your preferred deadline, time frame or exact date of completion?
18. What is the dedicated budget?
This is where I provide various pricing and concept numbers.
19. Would you like any addition design services to be packaged with your new logo?
Example: business cards, envelops, letterheads, etc.
20. What logos appeal to you and why?
Please provide links and visual examples if any.
As professional logo designers we need to understand our clients motivations, expectations and requirements before we begin production. Knowing the right questions to ask is crucial and will help steer the project in the right direction.
Did we miss any important questions? Feel free to tell us your suggestions in the comments below.
Download Mad Mind Studios’ Logo Design Questionnaire: